Thursday, October 25, 2007

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga: C

Music: 6/10 Vocals: 3/5 Lyrics: 3/5 Production: 3/5
Total: 15 of 25: C

The release of Spoon's "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" got a lot of indie hype. They were on the cover of many indie and mainstream music mags. Given this I had to see what the buzz was about.

First, this certainly isn't mainstream rock music. It's a medium tempo, laid back rock music. The singer has a catchy voice which is a bit rusty sounding. The music itself ranges from simple guitar to some horns, hand claps, piano and strings. It works but clearly isn't traditional. Listening to it, I try to image even how they went about writing it.

Two songs that clearly stick in my mind are "Got Yr. Cherry Bomb" and "My Little Japanese Cigarette Case". Both are very catchy and have some great little hooks in them.

In the end, the quirkiness is fun but not lasting. It's good for a few spins. But ultimately isn't an album I would want to replay 6 months from now.

No comments: