Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Okkervil River - The Stage Names: C

Music: 3/10 Vocals: 4/5 Lyrics: 3/5 Production: 4/5
Total: 14/25: C

Okkervil River made many top 20 lists in 2007. I had to check them out to see what the hype was. What I can say is that singer Will Sheff has a very unique voice and has a very good command of it. Half Morrissey, half Strokes may be a bit of a stretch but it gives you the right framework. I respect his vocal talents although I'm not all that drawn in by them.

The band is rather pedestrian. They are compitent enough but not good enough to write particularly good songs. A few mildly stand out but overall I easily keep this in the background without humming or tapping my foot. I would never want to actively listen to them. They range from light pop to folk. So, folk/pop/rock genre. At least they are unique.

So, perhaps the professional reviewers love this band because they really don't sound like anyone else and execute decently. But while I may agree with that, none of their songs engage me in any way so I really can't recommend it.

No comments: