Sunday, January 25, 2009

Movie: 28 Weeks Later: A+

The prequel 28 Days Later was a horror masterpiece. Being a "small" movie in close quarters with limited "infected", it excelled at keeping the suspense up and frights absolutely terrifying. With 28 Weeks Later, the set is much larger expanding to all of London with at times thousands of infected. I was worried that this larger scale would turn this movie into more of an action horror and not living up to the first. I was totally wrong. This movie put a vice around me and held me down for the entire duration. Every scene is masterfully done. At times the suspense is in the background where I could see maybe something going wrong, but usually doesn't. At other times I had my fists and jaw clenched tightly as the horror unfolded. I often wanted the movie to end so I could get the hell out of there. The intensity is unbelievable. The gore is usually brief but brutal. And the "oh god don't go into the dark subway" made me want to scream. But what else can you with the Army right behind you trying to exterminate you? I'd put this in the top 10 of horror movies of all time. Really. Perfection.

No comments: